Long-time supplement supporter Senator Tom Harkin (D-IA) delivered an emotional farewell address to the Senate today after serving 30 years as a Senator and 10 years as a Representative.
During his speech, Harkin outlined four broad issues he has worked to address and hopes Congress will continue to address.
- The growing inequality between the rich and the poor
- The negative environmental impact caused by the increasing use of fossil fuels
- The underemployment of people with disabilities
- Passing the United Nation's treaty on the rights of people with disabilities
While Senator Harkin's accomplishments are too many to list here, some of his more significant include:
- Establishing what would become the National Institutes of Health's National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine (NCCAM).
- Co-authoring the 1994 Dietary Supplements Health and Education Act (DSHEA) to regulate the supplement industry and ensure consumer access to these products.
- Sponsoring the American with Disabilities Act.
"Throughout his career, Senator Harkin sought to change the debate about the U.S. health care system to focus on prevention, wellness, medical research, and supplement, food, and drug safety," said AHPA President Michael McGuffin. "As a result of his tireless advocacy, millions of Americans and future generations will benefit from access to high-quality supplements and herbal products."
View Senator Harkin's Farewell speech on the Senate floor >>