The American Herbal Products Association (AHPA) is looking for an enthusiastic self-starter with a combination of public relations/publicity and (some) marketing skills who will thrive by expanding the association’s proactive communications activities.
If you are a strong writer and effective oral communicator, have proactive and reactive media relations experience, fluency and capabilities in social media platforms, know how to develop and execute marketing plans to publicize and drive attendance to AHPA educational events, can develop materials to support membership retention and development, represent the association at industry trade shows, and more, read further!
Please note the job is work-remotely to start, but once the office reopens post-pandemic, the job is based in the Silver Spring, MD, office (metro red line accessible).
THE POSITION: Reports to the AHPA Vice President of Marketing & Engagement and works proactively and cooperatively with other AHPA staff, including the AHPA President. Helps develop communications and marketing strategies to support the Association’s mission and membership. This position has primary responsibility for developing and executing communications, public relations/media relations, digital and marketing tactics to support those strategies. In addition, the Manager/Senior Manager communicates and publicizes the specific work of AHPA, including individual department initiatives, to its membership and a variety of external audiences.
Your overall objective will be to ensure that AHPA is widely recognized by its Members and other audiences (including media) for its leadership, work product and successes on behalf of its membership and the herbal products and dietary supplement industries at large.
- Supervise development and distribution of regular communiques to members (and occasionally prospective members), including AHPA Updates, AHPA Alerts and a monthly AHPA newsletter.
- Oversee communications aspects of the AHPA website, including ongoing evaluation of the site’s visibility and influence; posting updated content on a timely basis; maintaining an online Website industry event calendar; and conducting ongoing review of the website to reorganize materials, fix broken links and archive content as needed.
- Build working relationships with communications staff at other industry trade associations and relevant organizations and with media officers at key regulatory agencies.
- Reimagine and produce AHPA Annual Report.
- Search and compile daily clips report to identify those articles/news reports most relevant for AHPA staff and for use in Updates and Alerts.
- Develop and execute a strong, proactive publicity plan (with primary emphasis on trade media) to position AHPA as the voice of the herbal products industry and a leader in the dietary supplement industry using a variety of tactics including press releases, by-lined articles, proactive pitches, press interviews, editorial calendars, social platforms, digital content creation and marketing.
- Create opportunities for publicity through AHPA initiatives and positions, AHPA products (e.g., Botanical Safety Handbook, Herbs of Commerce, etc.), AHPA milestones (e.g., Committee anniversaries), and the work of AHPA committees (e.g., AHPA annual Awards).
- Maintain and regularly update media lists for publicity purposes, with specific emphasis on industry (including natural products/dietary supplements, Hill, and association trade outlets).
- Build strong relationships with industry trade press (and others as appropriate), and actively monitor industry media outlets to best understand publicity and pitching opportunities.
- Respond in a timely and efficient manner to incoming press calls, liaising with staff to determine best method for response to secure key positioning in articles either through arranging interviews with AHPA senior staff or developing written responses. Take ownership for counseling AHPA senior staff on best approach for each interview opportunity.
- Oversee media training for key AHPA staff, as needed.
- Build on AHPA’s social media identity and develop a strategy to grow AHPA’s digital footprint. Manage AHPA’s social media platforms including social listening, posting regularly, and driving stronger engagement.
- Develop strategic marketing plans and execute tactics for publicizing and driving attendance to AHPA educational events, working in close coordination with team members.
- Track and report on analytics for marketing projects, sponsorships, social media, traditional media exposure and website traffic.
- Develop marketing materials/vehicles to support membership retention and development and support sponsor marketing objectives.
- Represent AHPA at industry trade shows and other events to build relationships, create publicity opportunities and report back on content to AHPA staff and members.
- Liaise with outside consultants/freelancers (e.g., graphic designer, PR/Marketing agencies, communications consultants, etc.) as directed.
- Assist in planning and managing a budget for AHPA’s communications and marketing functions.
- Work with other industry and herbal organizations to publicize cooperative industry events.
- Strong writer and effective oral communicator with an ability to understand and communicate scientific content and regulatory issues to a professional and lay audience.
- Enjoy working both independently and as part of a collaborative, supportive, small but mighty team.
- Possess an ability to juggle multiple priorities and projects and have a healthy respect for deadlines and a strong attention to detail.
- Can stretch small budgets for maximum impact.
- Customer service-oriented with a pitch-in, can do-attitude.
- Strategic thinker with hands-on skills.
- Have a general interest in wellness and an openness to the benefits of herbal products/dietary supplements.
- Expertise in Microsoft Office Suite.
- Proficiency in (or a willingness and ability to learn) Content Management System (DNN), design-graphic software (e.g., Photoshop, InDesign), platforms/apps/software for creating video content and podcasts, online meeting software/web conferencing (GoToMeeting.com, GoToWebinar.com), Association Management Software (GoMembers).
- Fluency and hands-on capability in social media platforms (including Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube).
- Multi-tasker with strong attention to detail.
- Ability to travel to key industry events (post-pandemic).
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Minimum five years experience in public relations/media relations. (Title is commensurate with experience.)
Benefits: AHPA offers a competitive compensation and benefits package including PTO, paid holidays, employee health plan, and a SIMPLE IRA with employer match.
To Apply: Please email your personalized cover letter including either desired salary range or salary history, resume, and two relevant writing samples to email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org.
The American Herbal Products Association (AHPA) is the national trade association and voice of the herbal products industry. AHPA's mission is to promote the responsible commerce of herbal products to ensure that consumers continue to enjoy informed access to a wide variety of herbal goods.
Founded in 1982, AHPA is now comprised of more than 450 domestic and foreign companies doing business as growers, processors, manufacturers, and marketers of herbs and botanical and herbal products, including foods, dietary supplements, cosmetics, and non-prescription drugs.
AHPA is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to any basis protected by local, state or federal law.
The AHPA office is located in the heart of lively and diverse downtown Silver Spring, MD, about a 7-minute walk from the Red Line Metro stop and a block from the town center that features a wide range of eating establishments and retail.